»

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Nostalgic

Last night  my friend from Europe flew in, and we decided to bring back some of our memories which included some of those with my family, grad school, and music. My brother Dr.H was a major fan of Duran Duran in the 80's- as a little girl I listened to the more usual children's songs at that time. However, if my memory served me well I could still remember how my brother grooved on some of his albums. My friend and I chilled and listened to yep Duran Duran.. and I have to admit I now appreciate this music. Although I'm primarily R&B fan, the Duran Duran songs are pretty cool. I reminisced about my friendships and suddenly I thought of how much I missed my home and family. Normally, due to my busy schedule, my social life here and frequent contact with my family I don't feel nostalgic but yesterday I did. It was a chocolate moment and this morning it still hits me. Maybe also because DD questioned me and  I realized that my roots and culture prevents me to act as is expected here in the US. 
It brought me back to memories of my girls when we were at school, and had crushes on pop stars. It brought me back how I worked so hard to obtain my graduate degree; how I use to dance at night in the rain on a warm summer night; how I use to share with my Papa our love for politics, the beach, the sea, the needy families; and neglected animals. And I realized how much I still am Asian/European. This morning I felt as if I didn't belong here. Holidays here in the US are sometimes though for me. Yes, my family flies in as much as possible, I travel to Europe often but normally I would simply step in the car drive to my parents and enjoy their company. My Papa and me would hit the golf court or ride our horses when we felt like it. The activity by itself was always fun but the bonding in the moments are priceless. 
Its memorial weekend and Vlindertje and I are together. Nothing wrong with that however, I wish I could crawl into my parents arms, and just sit there and be a child again. Maman would comb my hair, and my Papa would take his guitar and sing. I would sing with him and we would have a wonderful time. I miss my family more then I want to admit. When I spoke to King the other day I envied him in a healthy way, he was preparing for Memorial Day to have a cook out with his family. 
Today vlindertje and I will stroll in DC and I'm taking my camera to capture our family moments for her. I'm not the person who dwells to long in sorrow but learns from situations and feelings that occur as today. We'll bring our memories with us and make some more. Meanwhile I'll continue to listen to Duran Duran an remember how silly my brother danced on it. enjoy a wonderful Memorial Weekend 
Hugzz

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the music. Makes me want to go out a dance. Robin